Thursday, January 25, 2007

Weirdest music video, like, ever?




















(image links directly to YouTube)

OK, so it's for peace, love and understanding. But come on... the scene where the Russian colonel is standing in Celine Dion's usual spot... that's just weird...

This tune was originally recorded as an instrumental for David Foster's self-titled second solo album from 1986. If memory serves correctly, this track was also released as a single in 1987.

So this was considered worthy single material by Atlantic Recording Corporation, whereas "Nothin' You Can Do About It" was not. Ok, whatever...

I've been obsessed with the italics button all day - and now I just can't stop - sorry 'bout that...

I have no idea as to how this collaboration came about. I don't really care that much to find out either.

Good fun, though.

8 comments:

Robert Cass said...

Ah, the '80s -- a time when Americans pretended to care about Russians because they had the power to turn us all into dust. Luckily we wouldn't have to pretend much longer.

Lots of gushing David Foster fans making comments on the YouTube page for that video. I love how the description of the video uses the line "A treasure from the greatest." Wow! More power to you (and less to those damn Russian military officers!).

Terje said...

How can you resist the charm of those sweet Russians??

Pet Shop Boys brought in a Russian choir for their 1993 smash hit (in Europe anyway) "Go West", the old Village People chestnut. The duet between Foster and the Russian guy is so much gayer than that - they look like they're in love.

Robert Cass said...

They're in love with peace, dammit! How dare you bring romantic man love into the picture!

I need to hear that Pet Shop Boys cover of "Go West," which is one of the best over-the-top Village People songs.

Terje said...

Well, I'm not so sure about Foster on the romantic man love issue, but the Russian guy? I'm sure he's infatuated with Foster. Or possibly Foster's bank account...

I'm sure you've found the Pet Shop Boys cover already. Anyway, in case you haven't, here it is on YouTube.

Terje said...

Oh, SURE...

I didn't realize I used the same word three times in twenty words. That's pathetic! Please forgive me.

Robert Cass said...

Surely you're not apologizing for something I do all the time myself. I regularly go back and edit little things out of my posts, things I never notice while writing.

I like the Village People's version of "Go West" better, but it was interesting to hear the Pet Shop Boys' version and European perspective on going west. Neil Tennant, you are no Victor Willis (which also means you're not having endless run-ins with the law, so at least you've got that going for you).

Terje, would you like to hear a good pop album for free? Then go to the Bees' lead singer's Web site:
http://www.tashian.com/daniel/?p=83. I want to find out why this hasn't been properly released.

Terje said...

Thanks! It sounds really good (I played it with the kids running and screaming around in the living room, so I'll need some alone time with it as well.) This was never released commercially? Makes me ill to think about all the great music that's probably made but never heard...

Robert Cass said...

Nope, no release yet. I assume Tashian's still shopping it around, but maybe not. It really does make you wonder.